Tuesday, January 26, 2010

"Damn The Torpedoes, Full Steam Ahead"

Just read the blog "Crusty Middle Age Woman" and was reminded how I need to personally connect within my own blog.

Obviously, I do like to post information about my passions and causes.  Now it's time to write. 

With some hesitancy, I've applied for advertising to be put on my blog.  I feel a little sleazy doing it, like I'm selling out...much like I felt about the Beatles when I heard their music being playing Muzak-style in the grocery store.  But what the hey...a bit of extra income would be greatly appreciated.  If I don't like it, I'll drop it.  Of course, my blog is so lacking in popularity right now, maybe nobody will want to advertise.  That would be OK, too. 

We've had what seems like a year of grey, rainy cold, dank, unappealing, useless weather.  It always leaves me restless and cranky and demented.  Need some full-spectrum light.  No, I need to fulfill my desire to move to Florida.  The sun, the fresh fruit and veggies, the smell of the ocean, sand in everything, Marineland, sunset classes, turtle watches, identifying the flukes of migrating dolphins and whales.  That's the life for me.

What stops me from being there...from getting there...where's my plan?  I'm floundering with my focus and my action steps.  I am so self-destructive in this grey mood.  That realization alone is enough to get me off my "arse" and into consistently putting my action steps into...wait for it...MOTION!  *"Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead."  


*Admiral David Glasgow Farragut (1801-1870), the first senior officer of the U.S. Navy at the time of the American Civil War.  Aboard the Hartford, Farragut entered Mobile Bay, Alabama, August 5, 1864, in two columns, with armored monitors leading and a fleet of wood ships following.  When the lead monitor Tecumseh was demolished by a mine, the wooden ship Brooklyn stopped and the line drifted in confusion toward Fort Morgan.  As disaster seemed imminent, Farragut gave the orders embodied by these famous words.  He swung his own ship clear and headed across the mines, which failed to explode.  The fleet followed and anchored above the forts, which now isolated, surrendered one by one.  The torpedoes to which Farragut and his contemporaries referred would today be described as tethered mines.


[Hearn, Chester G. Admiral David Glasgow Farragut: The Civil War Years. (Annapolis, MD: Naval Institute Press, 1988): 263-265. According to the book by Admiral Farragut's son, The Life of David Glasgow Farragut, First Admiral of the United States Navy, (New York: D. Appleton and Company, 1879), pages 416-417, Admiral Farragut said "Damn the torpedoes! Four bells! Captain Crayton, go ahead! Joucett, full speed!"]  (From WikiAnswers)

No comments: