Thursday, February 16, 2017

Faith Springs Eternal

Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. (Hebrews 11:1)  I find it includes being comfortable with not knowing what to expect...life without a plan!  Getting in flow and staying there for as long as I can.

A learned process. Not a natural outcropping of my personality.

To get in flow, the first thing I do is stop, take a deep breath and become very aware of my present state.  Not just my internal state but my environment - what I see, hear, smell, feel.  An awareness. A presence.  An art often lost in the age of electronics and speedy process.

Next, I ask myself a simple question, "What am I feeling" and as Byron Katie would ask "Is that true?"  Is it true?  Is it an impression?  A gut reaction? A lie I'm buying into?

When I find it is true, at least for me for the moment, the next part of the process...that sounds long but all this just takes seconds...is to ask myself "Is this old stuff, not serving me now or is this something new?"  Often, it's a very deep dive into the essence of me.  It takes courage and being painfully honest with myself.  Embracing the good, the bad and the ugly.

Whatever I decide and whatever I decide to do about it, is filtered through my values and beliefs.  I search the Truth of God's Word and then I abide and make the choice of who I am being in this event?  Am I being who I want to be?  

Sometimes I can accomplish all this in the moment but most often, I need the guidance of those people who love me enough to challenge me and help guide me through my process.

There is a contentment, a trusting that I know whatever comes my way, I'll be able to handle...sooner or later.


---


No comments: